St. Dominic Aquinas Hall Adaptive Reuse
Founded in 1924, the St. Dominic School originally served grades one through four in the burgeoning Lakeview neighborhood. Today, the school serves more than 600 students in a multi-building complex offering Pre-K through college preparatory education. To meet the growing demands of the school, P. Mark Culotta of Pascal Architects served as the Architect and Interior Architect or Record for the adaptive reuse of the school’s original convent building into a multi-purpose education space and restored chapel.
The scope of the project included the creation of convertible, full-size classrooms and seminar series rooms within the existing structure, as well as the transformation of the convent into individual classrooms for middle school students. The chapel was fully restored, and classrooms were designed with flexibility in mind in order to be easily subdivided for small groups. Ground level was converted into multi purpose public spaces.
- Categories: General architecture
- Team: P. Mark Culotta
- Date: August 1993
- Budget: $825,000